A teacher is an important guide through positive change; they are helping to both understand the practical methods of practicing yoga, to gain access to the state of yoga, which is described as enlightenment, or getting back to your innate basic goodness. Once you find confidence in a teacher, many things can start to shift and change, and if the teacher is of pure intention, compassionate and a true source of light and knowledge, you most certainly will want that teacher to stay in your life.
Here are ten tips from Sharon Gannon, to help honor your teacher and keep a precious teacher in your life.
1. Refer to them as your teacher.
2. Reflect upon the good things they have done for others. Talk about these good things to others. This knowledge is inspiring and is a source of joy and gratitude.
3. Think and reflect upon the good things they have done for you.
4. Say ‘thank you’ to your teacher mentally and out loud.
5. Give them offerings – these offerings are not for the teacher, but for your self. They transform how you see your teacher.
6. Take care of things for your teacher.
7. Ask them to teach. You have to be the one who takes the first step. Then the teacher will take you the next mile and beyond.
8. Ask them to stay in your life. You have to voice this. You have to desire it and make sure you really want it!
9. Listen to them when they teach. When you listen, their message becomes more profound.
10. Serve their mission on the planet. Help them to become liberated. If you want an enlightened teacher – see them that way. Become an extension of your teacher. Practice what they teach. Reach the goals they are setting for you.
Thank you to all my teachers. Please stay in my life always.